Mahamaya Girls’ College
Located in the heart of the City of Kandy overlooking the Kandy Lake, Mahamaya Girls’ College is one of Sri Lanka's finest public Buddhist girls' schools. The school is named after Queen Mahamaya, the mother of the Lord Buddha.. this shool situated in Kandy, which is the capital of the Central province. The school faces the Kandy Lake and is quite close to the Temple of the Tooth Relic.
Mahamaya Girl’s College Kandy was founded in 1932 by the Sadhachara Kulangana Samithiya led by Lady Sarah Soysa and Chitravo Ratwatte. The first classroom was in the West Cliffe Bungalow which was bought from Anagarika Dharmapala together with 2.5 acres of land adjoining the property which belonged to Mr. Arthur Fernando. National leaders like Anagarika Dharmapala, D.B. Jayatilaka, P. de S. Kularatna, G.P. Malalasekare and C.W.W. Kannangare also contributed to the college.
Chronology of notable events
- 14 January 1932 - Mahamaya Girls' College was founded under the name "Buddhist Girls' College" with sixteen registered students.
- 1938 - Officially renamed as Mahamaya Girls' College. December 1960 - Mahamaya was taken over for State Administration. 1982 - Mahamaya received the National School status.
- 1990 - The school auditorium was completed. 2000 - The swimming poolThe College Today was completed.
Mahamaya Girls’ College is one of Sri Lanka's finest public Buddhist girls' schools. This is the history of the school